Sunday, December 18, 2011

Landscape painting, Spring 2012: John Henry Twachtman

I am gearing up to teach a section of Landscape Painting in the spring. I believe the last time I taught landscape it was Fall session, so the palette will be very different.  I love the spontaneity of teaching this class in plein air as much as possible---changing weather, changing light---it's all good.  I am collecting some of favorite landscape paintings here as I begin to form the semester in my mind.

One of my favorites is John Twachtman---the simple, spare abstract ones. These are really a beautiful exercise in color, tone and restraint.

John Henry Twachtman, Springtime, Cincinnati Museum of Art


John Henry Twachtman, Hemlock Pool, Smithsonian


John Henry Twachtman, Round Hill Road, Smithsonian

No comments: